History of Gerwig Farm at 3851 Wood Creek Rd. Rome, NY
In 1909 the main barn, which still stands today was built.
In November of 1890, the property became George White’s from Mary Rainshaw.
The farm remained with the White family members Alfred and Flora with Eva Gerwig and Lulu Chandler until July 1932 when Clarence White took ownership.
Clarence maintained the farm until March of 1961 when it was bought by Ronald Gerwig; a relative to the White Family.
Ron brought his brother; Roger Gerwig and Roger’s son; Henry Gerwig Sr. on as partners and continued the family tradition of farming. After Ron and Roger passed on, Henry and his sister Linda shared ownership until 2004. At that point Linda removed herself and Bonnie Gerwig was added to her husband as a joint owner.
Over the years the farm has had a wide variety of animals raised on it. Some of the animals include cows, pigs, turkeys, chickens and they even had geese at one point. Also, one winter the NYS Canal and Lock system utilized some fields to build the doors for Lock 22.
In the early/ mid-1980’s the original workshop was lost to a fire. They rebuilt the current shop in the same location just didn’t go as large as the original.
Henry and Bonnie Gerwig Sr. remain the current owners of the farm today, and run it as a hobby farm with low volumes of animals, typically cows and pigs.
Bonnie and Henry’s youngest son, Patrick Gerwig started a backyard Halloween and Haunted walk-thru party in 2009 in New London, each year it continued to grow until relocating to the farm in 2015. After 2 years of having it at the farm, we expanded once more and opened to the general public in 2017 for our first official year and named the business Wood Creek Hollow.